Wednesday 24 February 2016

Plan B

Sometimes life doesn't go as we plan.  We don't learn resilience when plan A works out.  In fact, I'm not sure that we learn much when plan A works out, except maybe how to plan something and follow through on that plan. But, let's face it, there's more to life than following through on a plan.



A few months ago, I was talking to a very wise Rev who said that the only worthwhile lessons he'd learned in life were from the hard lessons.  In other words, we don't learn much about life or ourselves when life is easy.  But when life is hard, we grow and learn skills for the future.  We become more resilient or learn new tactics for dealing with difficult situations.  When plan A doesn't work out and we have to resort to plan B (or even plan C, D or E), life becomes harder, sometimes unbearably hard.

When people are having a hard time, Christians are often quick to trot out the phrase "God never gives you more than you can handle".  Sometimes you might even hear Christians follow that comment up with something like "you are going through such a hard time at the moment but God knows just how strong you are and that you can cope with it".  Right? Total and utter nonsense!



The ridiculous notion that God will not let us go through something that will absolutely break us comes from a misunderstanding of 1 Corinthians 10:13 which says "No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted,he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it" (NIV).  The phrase "He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear" is not the same as "He will not give you more than you can handle".  The verse is referring to how we deal with temptation.  When we are faced with more than we can handle, it is not always because we gave in to temptation.  But, when we are faced with more than we can handle, we have a choice - we can follow God or we can give in to temptation to follow a different path.  I can see why people want to make the leap from "He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear" to "He will not give you more than you can handle" but that just paints a false image of God.

So, what do we know about God and His part in our life when it is all falling apart around us? I've said it before, and I'll say it again - God is inherently good.  I know it's tempting to think of God as bad when we see the suffering all around us.  That is another blog (or ten) for another day.  The Bible also tells us that God will never leave nor forsake (abandon) us:



So, the Bible promises that God is with us whenever we are handling the hard stuff.  Sometimes I think "that's great God, now do something!".  If God is all-powerful, good and loves me then why do I have to go through any of the hard stuff? Again, that is a blog for another day.  What I will say, is that sometimes I need to grow, learn a new skill, or change in some way and if God jetted in and solved all my issues in some supernatural way then I will always be in a place in life that feels overwhelming.

One last warning about another misrepresented Bible verse that we hear when we are struggling... Ever heard "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"? It is a quote from the Bible (Philippians 4:13), not a misquote like the "God will never give you more than you can handle" thing.  But it really winds me up when I hear Christians misusing and abusing this verse.  The person who wrote it was having a terrible time.  But, he was suffering because of the work he was doing for God and was continuing to seek God's will so that he did not give in to the temptation of an easy way out.  He was not struggling to navigate Tesco with five small children or anything else that makes me want to repeat the Bible verse under my breath.  I'm not saying that God doesn't strengthen us or that he can't make all things possible.  What I am saying, is that God has the big picture and sometimes I can't do something, not because God isn't strong enough or my faith isn't good enough, but because it's not part of God's big plan.  I can't just waltz through life quoting that Bible verse whenever I want God's supernatural strength to get through something hard.

Which brings me to the point of me writing this blog post today.  You could be forgiven for thinking that I must be having a terrible time at the moment or feeling overwhelmed with life.  Life isn't exactly easy but I'm not having a particularly hard time right now.  I do, however, need to start following plan B for Lent.  Things haven't exactly gone to plan so far.  Illness and essay writing have had a hand in derailing my plans.  But, if I'm really honest, I'm giving in to temptation as well.  OK, so taking a peek on FaceBook whenever a post a blog post isn't that bad.  But then leaving the FaceBook page open on my phone and 'accidentally' taking another peek, and then another peek and then maybe another really quick scroll through isn't part of my Lent plans.  There is a reason for me withdrawing from FaceBook for a while and I'm not going to gain anything if I keep having a 'quick peek'.  I've been a bit slack with some of my other Lent plans as well.  I shall be holding on to the last part of 1 Corinthians 10:13 (quoted above) that says "But when you are tempted,he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it".

It is time for plan B.  Plan B is to do what I should have done for Lent.  So I have put FaceBook Pages on my phone and will be able to post a link to new blog posts on there without seeing anything else on FaceBook.  I will also be cutting out some things from my diet.  I am not thrilled about this and may become grumpy.  I apologise now.  My blood sugars are the worst they have been for a long time and I'm not mad-keen on re-starting insulin (although that may be inevitable and nothing to do with my diet).  What does this have to do with Lent? Well, if my body is a 'temple' for God then I have a duty to look after it.  Apparently my pancreas is going through more than it can handle so I should at least do something to try and help it.  I shall also generally be making more of an effort to concentrate on my other Lent plans rather than being so easily distracted.  I'll let you know how it goes...


Funny moment of the day - When I came out with the phrase "Who's for tea or coffee?" earlier to some friends, the toddler didn't miss a beat and replied "not me".  I think this may be one of those funny moments when you had to be there, but on the off-chance that you might be sat there laughing now, I thought it was worth sharing.  I'm nice like that ;-)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this one, I am often wading through more than I can handle now I'm parenting teenagers but I have a BIG God and Jesus never stops interceding for me and my offspring, even when I'm too emotionally exhausted to pray, Jesus never stops praying for us and it's a massive burden lifted, it doesn't all rely on me, thank goodness!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs and prayers.
    I'm on plan "D".

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Lent plans have completely gone for a burton! Never before have I failed so miserably to 'do' Lent! I don't think I even made a week! I had a similar experience with people reinventing bible verses to make them more 'acceptable'. It's annoying that folk feel the need to fluffy everything up! Here's what I wrote https://avicaragefamily.wordpress.com/2015/07/22/psalm-934/ hope the diet & Plan B go well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the phrase 'gone for a burton'! I also find artwork that I love and then realise that the verse isn't just a paraphrase, it is totally inaccurate. I'm not up for making God out to be something that he's not. I love your waves artwork xx

      Delete